Considering A Nursing Home or Need Representation
As a former registered nurse and advocator for the elderly, nursing home abuse can be in different forms. Repeated accidents in nursing homes, such as falls, burns, unexplained fractures, bedsores, rape, assault, mental abuse in the form of threatening the patient, infections, and starvation, infections, falls, rape, battery, dehydration, malnutrition, sexual abuse, physical abuse, and poor medical care.
Cathleen Lockhart in the representation of families has found that substandard care in the form of neglect and intentional harms can be equally devastating. Accidents in nursing homes can happen in the absence of neglect. But repeated accidents should never happen.
What to do if you suspect Elderly Abuse?
If you believe a loved one is the victim of nursing home abuse, you should contact Cathleen Lockhart immediately for a free review of the medical records.
However, perhaps more important there are things that can be done to try to stop the problem immediately.
In addition to contacting Cathleen Lockhart, you can;
- Increase your visits to the facility,
- Express your concerns to the staff and administration, and
- Notify the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS) at 1-800-458-9858.
Do Your Due Diligence on Nursing Homes
Visit the nursing home. While many Texas nursing homes offer tours, make sure you look beyond what they want you to see.
This you can do while at the nursing home:
- If possible, talk to other residents and their families, see if there are any state reports,
- Find out how long the nursing home has been around,
- Compare the nurse and staff to patient ratio,
- Ask if the nursing home is a restraint-free facility,
- Do you notice unusual odors, are all hallways free of obstacles, are the trash receptacles overflowing or emptied?
- Ask if there are visiting restrictions during evenings, meals, or other times.
Careful analysis of nursing homes will hopefully prevent the need to ever hire Cathleen Lockhart.
Get Your Questions Answered
Click to Schedule a FREE Consultation with Cathy Lockhart